Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Nana

This my My Nana.  She is one of my bestest buddies.


I love her now just as much as I ever have. The problem is that now I miss her so much it hurts. See, My Nana got to meet Jesus on June 28, 2010. And while I'm super excited that she will be worshipping at the feet of Jesus this year at Christmas, I'm also super sad that she won't be here. My Nana means so much to me and always has. There are no words that can sum her up, so I don't know if I should even try. I would have done anything for her, and I hope she knew that.

My Nana always had an old coffee tin full of Oreo cookies, freezer full of Brown Cows, dish full of little Hershey's candy bars, and a bag of Fritos with cheese dip that we had full privileges to at any time. She would cook us a huge breakfast every morning when we stayed with her, and made sure we did our devotions at night. She and my Granddaddy had a big garden, and from that we have always had canned beans, creamed corn, and salsa to eat all winter long. I still can’t eat any of those things from somewhere else without thinking about how much better it is when it comes from my Nana’s house. My Nana was so kind, I never once in my life heard her say a cross word about anyone, and her primary concern was that all her children and grandchildren stay in God’s will and love Christ and their family. She embodied the woman in Proverbs 31, but she didn’t have pride for that, she just kept trying to make herself better and better. My Nana and Granddaddy were married for almost 60 years when Granddaddy passed away, and to the day that she died she never stopped loving him. She was our matriarch and a strong woman. We wanted to stay with her the night Granddaddy died so she wouldn’t be alone, and her response was “I have to do it sometime, I might as well do it now.”

I love my Nana so much, and miss her terribly. She had a massive stroke in May 2010, and suffered for several weeks before God showed her mercy and took her home. She loved her family and her farm so much, and I am thankful she never had to move away.  Mostly when I think of my Nana I think of love...true, unconditional love. My heart still misses her very much. I would call her every Friday afternoon on my way home from work, and I still feel like something is missing on Fridays now that her number is disconnected. I just hope that one day I can be like My Nana. She is just so so so special to me! I hope that someday my kids and grandkids will feel the same way about me that we all do about her. That's the best legacy I could ever hope for.

I miss you my Nana!  I can't wait to see your smiling face at Heaven's gate someday!  And, oh, WHAT A DAY THAT WILL BE!!!!















No comments: